Dear Woodlynde Upper School Families:
As you know, we decided to utilize the time set aside for parent-teacher conferences so that our colleagues could come together, reflect, collaborate and prepare for a distance learning program. The philosophy of Woodlynde School’s distance learning program is to keep students engaged in the learning process with interesting and creative multi-sensory, multi-modality assignments that can reasonably be done at home using the resources available to students, families, and colleagues. A strong sense of community is an important part of Woodlynde School, and while it will be impossible to replicate that fully through a distance learning program, we will continue to connect with our students through weekly opportunities for face-to-face contact. We have given each of our teachers the flexibility to put together the framework that best meets the needs of the students they serve, and you will be receiving direct communication from each of your student’s teachers in this regard.
Here is what you can expect for next week:
• Woodlynde colleagues will utilize our learning management system, OnCampus, to communicate student assignments.
• Microsoft Teams, Flipgrid, Outlook, Learning Ally, Khan Academy, YouTube, EdPuzzle, BrainPop, OnCampus, Google Apps, and other programs will be utilized to support students during this period of long-distance learning. Many of your students have already utilized some of these programs in their classrooms which will prove to be beneficial during this experience.
• Microsoft Teams will be utilized by each of your student’s teachers and learning specialist who have set aside specific times when they will be offering virtual office hours. Microsoft Teams will also allow students and teachers to communicate in a real-time chat format and offers full class chat opportunities to encourage engagement among members of the class.
• Students are also encouraged to communicate with their teachers via email.
• Our Middle and Upper School Counselor, Ms. Szmajda, will be available for students or parents who need her support. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
and will be checking her email and voice mails regularly.
• Your student’s grade-level learning specialist will be reaching out with their contact information and are prepared to support your students along with their content-area teachers.
We hope you will encourage your student to put their best effort into their work and reach out for support as needed. If your student has questions about an assignment, we ask that they email or attend the office hours of their teacher. If they need additional support, they should also reach out to their learning specialist.
If your student encounters any technology challenges, you can email our technology team at email@example.com
. In addition, you may call the Technology Hotline number, 610-293-6766, Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. Finally, I ask the you remind your student of Woodlynde School’s Technology Acceptable Use Policy. This policy can be found in our Student Handbook and details the expectations of appropriate use of technology at Woodlynde.
Please know that we are aware that online learning provides both unique challenges and benefits, but we also believe that growth occurs when we are called upon to try new things and work through new experiences. Thank you in advance for partnering with us in the support of your student, and I encourage you to reach out with any questions at any time.
Best of health to all!